[wp-docs] [wp-hackers] Codex and old versions of WordPress

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sun Jun 20 07:01:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32) <wordpress at dd32.id.au>wrote:

> You cant include information on every tiny difference between every single
> version of WordPress on the page, it just becomes long and cluttered.

Agreed. We also have some pages that are simply outdated. Sadly, the Widget
API page covers pre-2.8 almost exclusively, and I had to go in and remove a
note not long ago that said it is discouraged to actually use the 2.8 API.
If someone wants to rewrite that page before I do, that'd be awesome :-)

Entire sections should not be devoted to "X.X or earlier", especially when
X.X is less than say 2.8. I would suggest that such sections should be
boiled down to a few sentences and stuck in a "Notes on Previous Versions"
bit at the bottom.

I would love for it to be a "Changelog," but using that word implies it is
both consistent and complete. I do love how php.net does that (as often I
have to check a function or an argument for 4.3 compatibility).