[wp-docs] GNU General Public Licence

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Thu Jun 10 11:39:10 UTC 2010

On Jun 10 2010 2:04 AM, Gooitzen van der Ent wrote:
>> If you want to license content about WordPress under a CC-By-SA
>> license, then you should post it on your own site, not on the Codex,
>> as the two licenses are not compatible, since they say inherently
>> different things.
>> Jane
>
> This is an interesting point. If you write content on WordPress which
> is GPL licensed, why would you then use CC-By-SA. Surely there would
> be limitations? Depends on the type of  content possibly?

Multiple licensing can be a sticky thing. But it's moderately common. As
an example sometimes seen in software, a developer might dual-license a
library as GPL and also under a commercial license. Users can use the
software under the GPL, and accept the responsibilities of that license.
But a corporate entity might choose to purchase the code under the
commercial license, because then they won't be required to GPL any of
their *own* code when they incorporate the library into their own projects.

I can see dual licensing something as GPL and CC-By-SA for similar
reasons. In the case of documentation, a publisher might not want to
include GPL'd content, because it would require them to license the
entire book under GPL (or a compatible license). But they could choose
the CC-By-SA license, as long as they give attribution to the original
author.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/