[wp-docs] Codex authorization

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jul 13 21:22:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Lorelle on WordPress
<lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome job, Otto. What a nightmare. I'm hoping good things come out of this
> and we all learn more about how to integrate these goodies to benefit others
> who use the WordPress/MediaWiki/bbPress combination. You're a star!

The majority of the code came from two different plugins that did this
sort of thing before. They had to be modified for wporg specifically,
and to support the newer versions of WordPress/bbPress password/cookie
handling.

The two plugins in question are:

# AuthWordpress.php
# Copyright (C) 2007 Heriniaina Eugene <hery at serasera.org>

// AuthWP.php
// Version 0.2
// Copyright (C) 2008-9 Ciaran Gultnieks <ciaran at ciarang.com>

Mad props to them for releasing their code freely to do this sort of thing.

> Just to double check, if we can log in and out and back again without any
> problems, this means that we don't have to do anything more? But those who
> can't login have to do note 1 and note 2?

Potential issues: If you get an error, it should be pretty blatant. I
didn't try to prettify the error cases. That said, the errors I'm
expecting are more along the lines of people with weird usernames. I
munged accordingly, but I might have missed a case here or there. If
your username is alphanumeric, I don't expect any problems. MediaWiki
is very picky about usernames, so it might turn some characters into
underscores and things like that. This will only affect the username
display in MW, *not* the login username. You login with exactly
whatever your username in the forums is.

Contribution histories: People who had a different username across the
two will basically lose their contribution history. However, I
installed an extension to let me move their history to the new
username. I just tested it and it worked perfectly. So I can move the
contribution histories around as needed on a case by case basis.

-Otto