[wp-docs] Custom permalink structures: best practice

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Jul 13 21:17:04 UTC 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 5:03 PM, Lorelle on WordPress wrote:
> For a very detailed report on why words are not efficient (has nothing to do with SEO, pretty, nor usefulness), see http://ottopress.com/2010/category-in-permalinks-considered-harmful/
>
> And yes, the page needs to be updated to reflect this information. Originally, it was believed to be possible, since example.com/my-blog-title/ works as words, but it's more complicated than that. Trust me, I've been fighting this issue since 2003. If there were a way, I'd be doing it right now. I think a screenshot is not needed on such a page as the instructions are fairly clear.

FYI, I've got a ticket[1] in to redo the URL routing system that I plan to work on once I can clear current client obligations (or ideally if a by-the-hour client obligation requires it. :)  It's unknown at this time if the core team will adopt it but minimally I should be able to make it a plugin.

-Mike
[1] http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12935