[wp-docs] Codex authorization

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Jul 10 19:22:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Arlen Beiler <arlenbee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jane, Otto, etc. I was asking why we force people to register on wp.org
> instead of on the codex. Is wp.org more restrictive?

The opposite, actually. MW has more restrictions on usernames and
such. This is currently a sticking point I'm working around.

The reasoning, however, is simply to have a unified login system
across all of *.wordpress.org. It already is there for trac, extend,
support, ideas, etc. The codex is just the last place to be
integrated. Having people have to have different usernames and
passwords across different parts of the site is silly.

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM, mrmist <listswpdocs at mist.org.uk> wrote:
> When it goes into place what happens to those of us with different
> passwords, does the forum password then take precedence?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Details aren't fully finalized yet, it's a work in
progress. I'm still testing it on a local MW installation and working
out the kinks.

However, when it goes into place, all existing codex logins will cease
to be. Only wporg logins (and their passwords) will work. However, if
your username is the same between the two, then you'll (probably)
still have all your history and such. If your username is different...
err.. tough luck, I guess. Maybe we can adjust usernames for specific
cases or something. I don't think this will happen enough to worry
about.

But my goal is that you shouldn't have to login to the codex at all.
The login cookie from one place will work across all subdomains. Log
in at one place, and you're logged into all of them.

-Otto