[wp-docs] Codex authorization

Lorelle on WordPress lorelleonwordpress at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 15:46:23 UTC 2010

To expand a little more beyond what Chip said, each "section" of WordPress
uses different publishing platforms. Few have access to the "WordPress" part
of WordPress.org or WordPress.com (they both have similar setups) as the
bloggy part is small comparatively.

The Forums are on bbPress. The Codex is on MediaWiki. There are even efforts
to incorporate some BuddyPress features into the whole mess, though I'm not
sure of the status of those yet, and how much is BuddyPress and how much is
custom.

Each of these has their own logins. Integrating the forums into
WordPress.org was easy as it was mostly bbPress. After a couple years, they
incorporated the "look and feel" of the Codex into the main site, but logins
were never completely merged in. Now, that's the effort. How to combine two
extensive and HUGE databases into one. Kudos to all involved in the effort.
It's a monstrous one and I hope they blog it cuz I'm fascinated to see how
it all comes together and the challenges that had to be overcome in the
process.

Hopefully soon, we'll all be one happy login family. :D

Lorelle