[wp-docs] Undocumented oEmbed in WP 2.9

Frederick Ding frederick.ding at live.ca
Sun Oct 18 15:46:51 UTC 2009

Hello documenters,

I was recently elated to discover WordPress 2.9's new oEmbed functionality, which was announced (http://www.viper007bond.com/2009/10/13/easy-embeds-for-wordpress-2-point-9/) by Viper007Bond on his blog. Although his blog post does a wonderful job of explaining the new capabilities, the WordPress Codex is devoid of any documentation — see http://codex.wordpress.org/oEmbed .

I think we should take some action to document this new feature, since it IS a really big improvement over the previous media features in the core. (I understand that WordPress 2.9 hasn't even reached the beta phase yet, but I believe we've already reached the feature-freeze date and this is likely to stay in for the stable release.) If there are others out there who are running 2.9-rare from trunk like I am, I think it would be great if we could comb through the information and put some of it on the Codex.

Just putting the idea out there.

Regards,
Frederick Ding (http://www.frederickding.com/)