[wp-docs] Linking to other languages on each page

bono bonops at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:08:51 GMT 2009

Xavier,

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:02:45 +0900
bono <bonops at gmail.com> wrote:
> But French Codex will need to change the format of existing internal
> links, from [[fr:Page name]] to [[:fr:Page name]]. [2]
> You could add a colon to each link on wiki by hand, or export French
> pages[3], run a search & replace, then import.

The easiest way to update French docs is to have the Codex admin
replace them with SQL statements.

Thanks Lorelle,

I've always wanted to see cross links to translated articles in Codex,
so this is a huge step forward!

Let me clarify some things.
The "Interlanguage Links" I was talking about is also a way to
"manually" select articles that you link to.
Once the database's interwiki table is set up, contributors can use a
translated page's article name to link to it.

For example, you'll add some code like this on an English page:

[[fr:French Article Name]]
[[ja:Japanese Articke Name]]
[[tr:Turkish Article Name]]
[[zh:Chinese Article Name]]
[[zh-tw:正體中文 Article Name]]

The advantages of this over adding links within the article (with
full path to other articles) are:

- No need to write full path, just article names (similar to linking
within the same wiki)
- Translated article links will show up on the sidebar. A lot of
people are used to Wikipedia's such interface, so it will be easier
to find translation
- If the domain is changed for a translated documentation, there is
no need to edit each page; Codex admin just need to update the
interwiki table in the database. I'd like to have
ja.codex.wordpress.org domain assigned to our sorceforge hosted
documentation if possible, so this eliminates extra work in the
future.

Like I said in my earlier post, this change requires database change
& skin modificaiton.
I'd really like to be in touch with whoever in charge of making such
update so I can explain the process and maybe answer any questions.

--bono