[wp-docs] Special Note About the Delete Plugin and Plugin Uninstall

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Mon Mar 2 03:21:05 GMT 2009

There has been some confusion on Trac about the purpose and use case
about the Delete Plugin and plugin authors wanting to be able to keep
their settings.

The reason the plugin uninstall is part of the plugin delete is so that
plugin authors can clean up their settings when the user deletes their
plugin. I think the confusion lies is when the person realizes that they
didn't want to remove their plugin and find that all of their settings
are now gone. This should not be the case and should be assumed that
when the user deletes the plugin, that they also want to remove any and
all settings, files, and misc stuff that would be considered garbage
once the plugin is no more.

I'm not sure where to put this on the Codex, so I'm letting you all here
know in case there is an inquiry in the future or if someone knows of a
place it should be. I'm not sure there is actually any page other than
the Version 2.7 notes on the uninstall. It would be nice if there was.

Jacob Santos