[wp-docs] Sort by Version in Extend

Lorelle VanFossen lorellevan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:15:52 UTC 2009

After talking it over with Jane, here is what I think.

Hopefully, by WordPress 2.9 the ability to inform the user that a Plugin or
Theme is not compatible with the WordPress version upgrade should be in
place. If the Theme or Plugin is in the "official" Extend directories, they
will be requested to upgrade those before upgrading WordPress, or some such
process. If the Theme or Plugin is not from the Extend directories, they
will get a message informing them that information is not available. They
are still working on finalizing how that will all work.

For us, two things happen.

1. The need to create and update the compatibility pages stops. The job will
be taken over by the interface (Administration Panels). We will just need to
put our energy into educational articles that continue to help people
upgrade their Themes or Plugins manually - for themselves or developers. In
other words, what changes have to made to a Theme to make it compatible with
the new version that go beyond just having the original Theme author update
their Theme (for those who created their own).

2. We need to start educating users NOT to look to the compatibility pages
but to the interface for compatibility information. This has to wait until
we have a clear outline on the process, but start thinking about how we can
inform and educate the WordPress Community from within as well as outside of
the documentation.

Thanks again for bringing this up. I'd love to spend more time creating
great documentation and educational articles than babysitting the old stuff
that is obsolete, so I'm thrilled about this step in the improvement of the
WordPress Administration Panels.