[wp-docs] New to list

Lorelle VanFossen lorellevan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:45:20 UTC 2009

One of the problems we all face is when jargon becomes so familiar, we lose
sight of how it impacts others. I taught a two day workshop on blogging and
social media last week for a group of scientists and researchers working for
the government. I work very hard to use words familiar to most people. At
the end of the first day, after completing a section on using WordPress and
fighting comment spam and copyright infringement, I laughed and cringed
equally when two people agreed that I used more jargon and buzz words than
they did in their positions - and they are KNOWN for their jargon and buzz
words.

I assumed that blog talk had been around long enough people were now
familiar with twitter, tweet, splog, scraper, spammer, and so on. They
weren't.

Few people in the real day to day world know what UI is, and this is a prime
example of the need for clarity in a category name. If it were "WordPress
Interface" or "WordPress Functionality" or "How to Use WordPress" people who
don't speak geek or blog would understand and click. But how many understand
what UI Links mean? And what are "User Interface Links" anyway? A collection
of links to pages dealing with the interface of WordPress? Shjpuld we have a
category to name a group of links?

I know we can do better, using the categories as guides and navigation for
people of all levels.

So if we keep this category, what would be a more appropriate name? Or
should we get rid of it and assign these articles to more appropriate
categories?

This is not to pick on anyone naming a category, it's to clean things up so
we move towards a better reptuation for the WordPress Codex to be more
helpful than confusing, a long time goal of mine.

Thanks!

Lorelle