[wp-docs] New to list

Will Kemp Will at Swaggie.net
Wed Jul 8 18:10:09 UTC 2009

On 07/08/2009 06:25 PM, Lorelle VanFossen wrote:
> As everyone has said, welcome to the Codex and WordPress Documentation Team.

Thanks.

> Be sure and check out the guidelines for editing and working with the
> Codex under the Community Portal. These will help you figure out how it
> all works.

That was the first thing i did!

> * Ensure EVERY page on the Codex has the proper Category at the bottom
> of each page. A page can be in more than one category, but we have to be
> REALLY specific about categorizing the documents.

Are there any category guidelines anywhere? I've looked, but i haven't
found it.

I'm happy to spend as much time as i can going through the codex and
categorizing articles. It will be a good way to get to know what's in
there, anyway.

> A document on Plugins
> should go in the Plugins category, but if it is really basic, it should
> also go in WordPress Lessons, but if complicated and very "developer"
> then it also needs a cross reference in the Developer category, right?
> It's a tough call sometimes but think about how the user will hunt for
> the information and sort accordingly.

For development type subjects, at least, i think the categories may need
to be more fine grained than that if they're going to be really useful.

> * Foreign Language articles - We need to put the articles in different
> languages into their own language specific categories.  That will help
> get those articles into their own grouping, and help us get that
> information to the people who need it.

If non-English languages are going to be in their own categories, surely
English language articles need to be categorized "English"? Maybe i've
missed something, but that doesn't appear to be happening.

> Check the categorization and
> language guidelines for how to categorized those.

Where are they? (Is it just me that can't find anything in this wiki?)

Will