[wp-docs] New WordPress Handbook

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Jan 30 08:47:17 GMT 2009

Mike Little wrote:
> Firstly, the subversion book is stored in just 16 files! That is each
> chapter and appendix is a single file. The largest of which is 300K.
> It will be impossible for multiple people to contribute to such large
> pieces of work with actual patches. As soon as the first couple of
> patches are applied the rest will be hopelessly out of date.

When you make a patch it includes which revision you're working off, and
smart patch tools figure out how the lines have changed if there have
been changes since then, right? I usually don't have trouble applying
older patches to WP.

> Which brings me to a  second problem. Subversion does not to my
> knowledge diff xml files as xml files. That is, it does not understand
> the semantics of an xml file structure. It treats them as ascii
> records (lines) and that doesn't work for structured files. I am not
> aware of a third party add-on that will do the job either (subversion
> supports pluggable diff engines). At least not an open source one.

I'm not sure what's the matter with this, any different than using
Subversion to manage a HTML file. Why does the diff engine need to be
aware of the markup language?

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://wordpress.org | http://automattic.com