[wp-docs] New WordPress Handbook

Tom Johnson tomjohnson1492 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 23:52:50 GMT 2009

I read Mike's comments with a lot of enthusiasm because he communicated the
whole DITA concept and benefits with a lot of clarity. I was especially
intrigued by his statement,

"Oh and I mentioned WordPress -- I built an importer which will take the
XHTML generated by DITA and import it into WordPress as a hierarchical set
of pages."

I would love to see WordPress harnessed as a DITA authoring tool. In some
way, the structured blogging plugin (http://structuredblogging.org/) is a
step in this direction. The posts created using the structured blogging
plugging are semantically structured in a way that enables them to be
syndicated and pulled into other systems, or something to that effect. It's
the concept of microformats -- like with hcalendar. The idea is to create
content structured in a way that all systems can parse and manipulate.

DITA is essentially the same idea. Create an XML structure for help material
that breaks free of any proprietary constraints or formats of specific
software, and the information you create is then free. It can move between
systems and be manipulated into different formats and deliverables.

DITA has been the hottest topic in technical communication for the last year
and a half. There is a tremendous industry push among almost all help
authoring tools to include support for DITA.

Would it be possible to enable WordPress to create DITA-structured topics?
All it would take is some kind of plugin similar to the structured blogging
plugin (perhaps the integration of the DITA Storm editor). If you can
empower WordPress as a DITA authoring tool, *you will then enable anyone to
create a topic structured in DITA. With these topics, you could create a
DITA map (table of contents) where you could pull in the topics you want
into the books you want (e.g., advanced, beginner, CSS-based).* *Essentially,
you enable every member of the community to become a help author, without
worrying about structure or other formatting expertise.*

As Mike pointed out, DITA is not only more scalable than DocBook, it's also
more flexible. The goal is not to produce a massive printable version of
WordPress documentation, but to provide specialized outputs for different
purposes, interests, and roles.

Although I'm not a DITA expert myself, I am very well connected to some DITA
experts (as well as DocBook experts) and would like get more involved in
this project, if this is a route you're interested in pursuing.

Tom
http://idratherbewriting.com

cell: 801-822-2241
blog: www.idratherbewriting.com