[wp-docs] New WordPress Handbook

Charles K. Clarkson cclarkson at htcomp.net
Thu Jan 22 20:15:11 GMT 2009

Jacob Santos wrote:

> I had to laugh, because I have like 6 or 7 patches for WordPress which
> haven't been committed yet and I'm still waiting. I also don't think you
> are being sarcastic, which I mean you know, it actually isn't too easy
> to have patches committed.

Are those documentation only patches or do they change the code? Do you
find your Inline Document changes take an equally long time to be committed?

 > If one or two people from Automattic or outside entity have commit
 > access, then I'll tell you right now, that it won't be easy, based
 > upon the patch process for the WordPress Tests Repository.

I would guess (because I really don't know) that part of the hold up for
WordPress Trac is the testing process. Even automated testing can
produce a lot of problems which need to be examined.

In a handbook SVN I would guess that rigorous testing would be mostly
eliminated. I think the approval process needed to commit changes would
be the bottleneck.

 > If [those with commit access] don't think your documentation
 > correction is worth it, then you'll have made the patch for nothing.

It seems that changes to the handbook would be approved by some small
group of people. We have to assume an appreciable amount of effort will
not make it into the handbook, but I am not convinced it would be for
nothing. That same rejected work might fit in on the Codex.

HTH,

Charles Clarkson
--
Mobile Home Investor