[wp-docs] New WordPress Handbook

Austin Matzko if.website at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:28:16 GMT 2009

> The WordPress Handbooks will not be in wiki form. They will be created using
> Subversion. An example is the http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ Version Control
> with Subversion by Ben Collins-Sussman, Brian W. Fitzpatrick, C. Michael
> Pilato.

I'm trying to understand the problems that will be solved by creating
a Subversion-controlled manual.  The practical realities that make
Subversion such a helpful tool for software development are either not
present or already addressed with a wiki.  So for example, if the
Codex were overwhelmed by ideologues trying to reshape the Codex, or
if vandalism were a constant problem, then I could understand
tightening up control.

If the issue is a matter having professionals generate the content,
why not unleash those professional writers on the Codex?  The Codex
quality will improve all around, as you'd be combining the work of the
paid writers and volunteers who for the most part seem to know their
stuff.

> The writing style will be different from the Codex in keeping with a basic manual rather than a guide.

In practice the distinction between a "manual" and a "guide" is a very
fine line, one crossed in many places already in the Codex.  If that
distinction is the main issue, why not just supplement the Codex with
a "manual" section?

I'm concerned that this manual will have the effect of undermining the
perceived value of the Codex, which will mean fewer people will
consult it, and fewer volunteers will contribute both to the Codex and
to the manual (with its higher barrier of entry).  Of course,
potential deficits like that might be worthwhile in light of the
overall benefit, but I'm having difficulty seeing the benefit.

> Cool Cool Cool.
>
> Doing it in the style of the subversion book is going to be real cool.
>
> I am looking forward to contributing.

Why is it more fun to contribute using Subversion than a wiki?