[wp-docs] Codex menus

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Fri Jan 9 16:40:52 GMT 2009

In order to get everyone on the same page, Ben is using a different skin
(Classic rather than Codex) on his Codex view. It's the same site,
different skin. So, he sees a different site layout than most of the
rest of us are looking at.

This was quickly noticed and handled by mrmist, and that should have
been the end of the confusion.

Ben,

Jacob may have been quick to call you a troll, but you have been very
vocal, extremely rude, and quick to judgment yourself when it was you
who made the mistaken assumption (that you too would see the changes
even though you are using a non-default skin). Rather than trying to
figure out why seemingly everyone else couldn't understand what you were
talking about, you proceeded to believe that everyone was an idiot, that
open source projects are a tragedy, and that you are being crapped on. A
wisdom I learned a while back applies here: If it seems like everyone
around me is horribly wrong, it's more likely that I've misunderstood
something and that I'm actually the one that is wrong. This wisdom is
extremely valuable in the technical field.

Just so you know what we are seeing, this is what I see while using the
default skin: http://tinyurl.com/7ev65h

As you can see, the changes that everyone have been talking about are on
this skin and not on your's. If you wish to continue discussing changes
to the Codex layout, I recommend that you change your skin to default.

Everyone,

Frankly, I think that this could have been handled better by everyone.
Most of the response I've seen in this thread have been laced with
assumptions and incomplete thoughts. Even if you know 100% that people
know exactly what you are talking about, it always helps to provide a
link to the page that is being discussed. It also helps to note whether
or not your are logged in and if you see any differences when you are
logged in or not logged in. Using full, detailed sentences for both
questions and responses helps cut off spiraling circles of confusion
like this.

Screenshots are a great tool. I think if Ben had been provided with a
screenshot of what we see earlier that this mess could have been much
smaller. So maybe another good practice is to always send a link to a
screenshot if the discussion is about site layout/design issues.

I'm not sure that this is relevant to this thread, but in general, the
following is also good practice to prevent confusion: Keep in mind that
while English is the language used on this list, not everyone is from
the same region/country/part of the world that you are. English is very
diverse, as such, using abundant detail to describe things can help
people that have a different usage of English or use English as a
secondary language.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/