[wp-docs] Introduction and Proposal

Charles K. Clarkson cclarkson at htcomp.net
Sun Nov 30 18:06:42 GMT 2008

Malaiac wrote:

 > I'd vote with both hands to not maintain parallel documentations
 > (inline + codex) on functions.

Ideally, I would agree, but in-line docs are not ideal in every
situation. One of my biggest frustrations is finding a function that is
referenced in a plug-in or the body of another function. In-line
documentation cannot help there. A search-able code base can.

The Codex allows more access to the WordPress code. Even amongst
programmers, some people never look at the code source. People who would
never dream of looking at source code might find the Codex less daunting.

In-line documentation is often version-specific and tends to be very
concise. (No offense to Jacob.) Having functions documented in the Codex
invites a potential for more writers to join in with editing, writing
and providing better examples.

HTH,

Charles Clarkson
--