[wp-docs] Long pages

Michael E. Hancock mhancock at us.net
Tue Mar 11 11:35:18 GMT 2008

From: "Matt Mullenweg" <m at mullenweg.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:33 AM

> I'm going through WP and adding contextual help and links to the Codex
> where appropiate.
>
> But one downside of pages like the above is to link
> to a specific concept, like page templates, I have to link to this:
>
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Creating_your_own_Page_Templates
>
> That URL will break if anyone changes the heading for that section. It
> also tosses someone in the middle
> of a longer piece without context.

Using section links can be hazardous--don't know how many times I've
directed people in the forum to
http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Page_Templates

This is even a problem with sections addressed by other articles in Codex.
There's the "What links here" tool but that only 'tests' the article name,
not sections.  Invalid sections are not shown as invalid links, even when
that reference is to an invalid section in the same article.

One thing you can do is place [[Category:UI Link]] in those articles that
you link in the WordPress core.  Then, periodically the links in the core
have to be checked.  It's not much, but short of Protecting the article not
sure what else you can do.

Regards.

MichaelH