[wp-docs] Codex license: CC better than GPL?

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:39:38 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Alex Günsche <ag.ml2008 at zirona.com> wrote:

>  In my opinion, the CC-BY-SA license is equivalent to the intention of
>  the GPL, and it's a much better, because more precise and specific
>  license for a work such as the WP Codex.

How attribution is done isn't defined by the CC licenses, so what do
we mean by attribution?

Being able to incorporate the documentation into WordPress itself
seems desirable. That isn't possible with a CC license.

When you start to try and unravel all of the issues, public domain
quickly becomes the only real option for a high collaborative, highly
flexible project. Consider Tantik and Microformats recent change to
this:
http://tantek.com/log/2008/01.html#d01t1946
http://microformats.org/blog/2007/12/29/making-open-standards-as-open-as-possible/

Cheers,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com