[wp-docs] Re: [wp-hackers] Codex function page proposal

Gaarai gaarai at gaarai.com
Sat Dec 27 22:57:34 GMT 2008

You have some very good points Jennifer.

My desire is to create a standard that is used for all function
references, template tag or not. The reason I'm frustrated by the Codex
currently is that there isn't a standard by which all the pages are held
to resulting in documentation chaos.

I'm trying to mentally weight the benefits and detriments with having
the parameters below and the examples at top as opposed to the way I
have it. On the one hand, using the current model does help those new
people see the examples more quickly, but I wonder if these new
coders/themers get used to that and never think about the power that the
functions truly have due to being "insulated" from the parameters list
and only being shown a very small sample of what functions can do.

I added a link to the Examples section in the Description section.
Having something that overt toward the top, may assist those who just
want to quickly see examples.

In my mind, the goal is to turn everyone who does more than just minor
tweaks here and there into a WP developer, and I definitely think that
this format is more usable than the current format. That said, I'm by no
means a documentation expert; rather, I'm simply a coder that wants a
better Codex and has finally taken up the initiative to try to create it.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/