[wp-docs] Inline Documentation -- Better Quality Assurance

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Thu Dec 11 04:35:04 GMT 2008

It was expressed to me to continue the effort from how it helped others.
However, I mean, it was a few months after that thread that I finally
took it up again. I was able to complete majority of the remaining files
in September and the rest in October. I had help, which increased my
motivation for working on it. Scott H. completed the bulk of a really
difficult to document functions in formatting.php. It got to the point
where I was completing almost a file a day.

The WordPress administration Library still needs to be documented, but
the majority of what plugin and theme developers work with have been
documented. It will help coders modifying the WordPress Admin by
creating patches or whatever to have it documented, but I have no
motivation to document it. If it isn't documented by Spring or Summer
next year, then I'll probably finish it.

I did leave an update which stated that the effort was finally a
success. Other contributors are mostly maintaining the inline
documentation now. It is nice that you are using it for the codex. That
was one of the intentions with no including more examples in the code.

Actually, the inline documentation does also include a link to the
codex, where applicable, for more examples and details. I think that
once you get more completed, I'll go through and create a patch linking
more of the functions to the codex. It was my hope that the function
reference would link back to the codex and the codex would link to the
function reference. However the official phpdoc site is FUBAR at the moment.

Jacob Santos