[wp-docs] WordPress Quick Start Guide page

Tom Johnson tomjohnson1492 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 06:07:04 GMT 2008

Thanks Lorelle. I appreciate the feedback. I agree with you about the need
for it to be quicker and shorter. The audience I had in mind actually is a
non-WordPress audience -- people totally new to WordPress. I'll work on
shortening it and let you know when I have a revised version.

Tom

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Lorelle VanFossen <lorellevan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The article is very good and covers some points really well. I like the
> general flow.
>
> However, this duplicates articles already in the Codex. I like the idea of
> a Quick Start Guide, but it needs to be that: a quick reference guide.
>
> Following the Codex guidelines is critical, and there are some things that
> need to be fixed in accordance with those guidelines. Please review them and
> correct the article accordingly.
>
> Primarily, the article needs to get to the point fast, keeping
> point-by-point steps short and sweet. There is a lot of editorial content,
> which is fine for explaining WordPress to a non-WordPress audience, but by
> the time people get to the Codex, they have already made some decisions and
> have information including the decision to go self-hosted or not. They are
> on the WordPress Codex, so they do not need to be told that the Codex is a a
> wiki manual. :D
>
> By calling it a Quick Start Guide, it needs to be QUICK. Step by step and
> point by point. We have a variety of articles that take users through the
> process with more explanations, and this article duplicates much of that
> work. I'd link to those as a lead in for more information and get right to
> the quick in the start part.
>
> I recommend that the article be shortened to the key points so someone can
> go through and check off the list of each of the steps. Also, until we can
> get the designer to remove the third, unnecessary sidebar, the table of
> contents squishes everything over, so please keep the section titles short.
>
> It's a great start and I look forward to watching it evolve into a
> valuable addition to the Codex. I'll let you whack away at it first before
> we send the troops in. :D Good work and thank you so much!
>
> Lorelle

cell: 801-822-2241
blog: www.idratherbewriting.com
twitter: www.twitter.com/tomjohnson1492