[wp-docs] WordPress Quick Start Guide page

Lorelle VanFossen lorellevan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 16:37:35 GMT 2008

The article is very good and covers some points really well. I like the
general flow.

However, this duplicates articles already in the Codex. I like the idea of a
Quick Start Guide, but it needs to be that: a quick reference guide.

Following the Codex guidelines is critical, and there are some things that
need to be fixed in accordance with those guidelines. Please review them and
correct the article accordingly.

Primarily, the article needs to get to the point fast, keeping
point-by-point steps short and sweet. There is a lot of editorial content,
which is fine for explaining WordPress to a non-WordPress audience, but by
the time people get to the Codex, they have already made some decisions and
have information including the decision to go self-hosted or not. They are
on the WordPress Codex, so they do not need to be told that the Codex is a a
wiki manual. :D

By calling it a Quick Start Guide, it needs to be QUICK. Step by step and
point by point. We have a variety of articles that take users through the
process with more explanations, and this article duplicates much of that
work. I'd link to those as a lead in for more information and get right to
the quick in the start part.

I recommend that the article be shortened to the key points so someone can
go through and check off the list of each of the steps. Also, until we can
get the designer to remove the third, unnecessary sidebar, the table of
contents squishes everything over, so please keep the section titles short.

It's a great start and I look forward to watching it evolve into a valuable
addition to the Codex. I'll let you whack away at it first before we send
the troops in. :D Good work and thank you so much!