[wp-docs] Feedback on new Main Page

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 05:05:57 GMT 2007

Hi all,

Sorry for butting in so - just thought I'd share what I thought about
the new Main Page (I don't know how old it is, its new for me :) ).

The page lacks vigor. It is boring, and it is almost impossible to
find the page I need, or to see any sense of direction to it. Coupled
with the amputated search, I have to fall back on googles
"site:codex.wordpress.org" search to find what I need - and I know
what I was looking for :)

A little bit of organizing and a "route" or two through the codex, or
a guided tour (or more than one depending on experience/expertise
level) would be great. There is the "New to WordPress article which
does a great job of introducing a new user to wordpress, but it still
makes things complicated since it has many exit paths, and one tends
to lose context (where am I?) after clicking through a page, which
leads to another page, if you see what I mean.

Less is more - no offense, but there is only so much to be said for
verbosity when it comes to documentation.

The reason I thought I'd say this is 'cause I see some folks getting
ready to reorganize, and write new stuff (great work, Jen and
Lorelle!). As always, please don't be discouraged by what I write, or
let it change what you are doing for the worse. Take the good, and
leave the bad behind :)

Regards,
Carthik.

--