[wp-docs] Developer doc to dos

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Tue Mar 13 02:03:22 GMT 2007

Excellent list. Fantastic. I'm whelmed. And thrilled!

Here are my thoughts.

* The Loop - What did you have in mind for this? We have two articles on
the WordPress Loop. One is written as a basic technical explanation and
the other "Loop in Action" was written for the WordPress Lessons for a
step-by-step look at how to customize the loop for different needs. I'd
love to see more custom features for using the Loop in separate articles
related to blog models and their specific needs, as well as these two
articles updated.

* Conditional Tags/Includes - I'd love to see a "Conditional Tags in
Action" WordPress Lesson-style article that uses the conditional tags
and includes in various methods, expanding upon the basic technical how
to. The Conditional Tags article is really lacking in quality examples,
but it doesn't need to do everything. A WordPress Lesson can add more
features. It also needs to be edited and updated as it is not clear on
how it works within the code examples.

* Hacking WordPress - WordPress Plugins have pretty much totally
replaced hacks. So we need to be sure how we are going to go forth in
the future with the issue of "hacking" WordPress while still being very
clear that modifications to the core programming is NOT recommended, and
potentially dangerous with the new frequency of upgrades coming out
faster than ever. What's the current policy?

* Hardening WordPress - This is really, really controversial. I know
it's not on your list, but security topics are and this is one of them.
We need to clearly address the issue of security flaws and potential
risks in WordPress, especially in WordPress Plugins, while not exposing
flaws or potential "back doors" into WordPress. This is a big one and we
really need to get a consensus and policy on how to write about this
because it is SO important, while not opening a door we don't want open.

Additional Articles

I'd also like to recommend you include a few other articles to that list
that are on the Task List

* http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Tasks#Common_WordPress_Errors We
really need a better listing of the most common WordPress errors with
tips on how to fix them such as errors during installation, mysql
errors, plugins not found errors...we need examples of what it looks
like when the error occurs as people often don't have the words or
language to describe the error, and then how to fix it. This would be
excellent as a reference for the Support Forum.

* http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Tasks#Foreign_Language_Characters - I
don't know how "developer" this is, or if I should hand it off to
someone on polygots, but we need some articles on handling foreign
language characters in WordPress. WordPress now works well with
right-to-left languages, but we need some technical articles on foreign
language techniques. Recent surveys are indicating a huge demand in
Japanese, Chinese, and other Asian blogs, so we need coverage in English
on that so it can be translated by those support groups. Interested?

* http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex:Tasks#Custom_PHP_Queries - I see that
David House signed up for this. Any idea if he is still working on an
article for custom PHP queries? Maybe we can get Kaf to work on this or
help.

* Do's and Don'ts for WordPress Plugins - I'd love to see a very
specific do's and don'ts for WordPress Plugin writers. I found some
articles on Head Zoo (
http://headzoo.com/tutorials/writing-a-wordpress-plugin and
http://headzoo.com/tutorials/wordpress-plugin-tips-and-tricks ) that may
be worth approaching the author for editing and inclusion in the Codex -
or using some of the offerings for a new article. We really need some
WordPress Lessons to help beginners learn to write WordPress Plugins as
well as technical articles. It is the hottest growing area and we need
to create some very strong standards and offer articles on how to avoid
security holes, another big ickie.

I haven't been through the Forum looking for article ideas for a while.
Have you gone through the Advanced area to look for what is hot and the
most popular technical topics brought up? This is our best tool for
determining what we need in the Codex. It's critically important that
the support volunteers have something to point to for redundant topics.

Great work and I'm so excited to get this area worked on. It is much overdo!