[wp-docs] WYSIWYG - Weblog Clients for Windows

Nancy wpforum at sgtst.com
Sun Jun 3 23:48:14 GMT 2007

At 01:43 PM 5/26/2007, I wrote:
>In particular, I'd be interested to talk to anyone who's interested
>in documenting best practices for providing WYSIWYG editing. I've
>written some preliminary notes -- which may just reveal how little I
>know about the options.

No one's commented that WYSIWYG editing is a priority, and I decided
to start my search for a better solution with the list of weblog clients at
http://codex.wordpress.org/Weblog_Client

To clarify, my goal is to find a recommendation (or two or three) for
the occasional contributor to a group's website that's been set up in
WordPress. There may be several people involved (so I'd really prefer
a clean server-side solution), but I can see and might be able to
sell the advantages of offline composition and being able to save
local copies. I'd like the editor to be "css-aware" so we could use
styles appropriate to the site without getting into editing HTML
tags. A Windows solution would cover almost all of the participants
in my groups, but philosophically I'd prefer a platform neutral solution.

Cost is an issue. The group(s) may be able to make a financial
contribution to the development effort, but they wouldn't want to pay
a fee for each person to use the tool -- especially when some of the
contributors may be posting only a few times a year.

So what's that got to do with the Codex?

Well, the page referenced above lists 18 different Windows clients. I
spent most of the weekend checking out different aspects and learning
things about when XMLRPC works and when it doesn't. I've documented
some of that at the discussion page
-  http://codex.wordpress.org/Talk:Weblog_Client.

Questions that would help me shape the page in a direction I think it needs:

1. Does anyone consider the WYSIWYG editor problem solved? If so,
what are you using?
2. Is there some other discussion of the problem that I need to read
before going any further here? If so, what is it?
3. Have you experimented with client side tools for Windows and, if
so, do you have time add comments to that Talk page?
4. Do you agree that it would be a good idea to point newbies to 2 or
3 "best of show" tools (along with, perhaps, a list of all known
tools for those who want to experiment)? Do you think that could be
maintained with, say, a quarterly review?

Thanks, all!

-Nancy
Converting2wp