[wp-docs] Codex updates for 2.1?

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Wed Jan 17 22:56:05 GMT 2007

lorelle at cameraontheroad.com wrote:
> As with all releases, information specific to the new release will be added as
> soon as all the information is available, and a volunteer kicks in with the
> writing. Are you volunteering? ;-)

Yes, actually.

> If you would like to help, jump in and let us know specifically what you want to
> do, fix, improve, and add. We're thrilled to have you involved.

OK, here goes.  As a developer, I have a suggestion for a
reorganization of the Developer Resources page
(codex.wordpress.org/Developer_Documentation). I'm hereby volunteering
to (a) reorganize and (b) at least do some of the 2.1 rewrites.

I suggest separating Developer Resources into the following sections:
*   Theme Development
*   Plugin Development
*   Contributing to WordPress
*   Forums, Lists & Blogs [anyone with a better title idea here?]

Probably codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page should just point developers to
the main Developer Resources page, rather than maintaining links in
the Developers section there too (my experience has been that anything
maintained in more than one spot is likely to get out of synch).

Here are what I would suggest putting into each section (mostly
existing pages):

Theme Development
*   Theme Development (codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development) [There
are a BUNCH of overlapping articles in the Codex about Theme
development, and it would be useful to clean it up somewhat. Next
project...]
*   Designing Themes for Public Release
(codex.wordpress.org/Designing_Themes_for_Public_Release)
*   Distributing your Theme (themes.wordpress.net)
*   Coding Standards (codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Coding_Standards)
*   Template Tags (codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags) [2.1 update needed]
*   Conditional Tags (codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags) [2.1
update needed]
*   Function Reference (codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference) [2.1
update needed]
*   Migrating Themes and Plugins from 2.0.x to 2.1 [new]
*   Finding Existing Themes (themes.wordpress.net)

Plugin Development
*   Writing a Plugin (codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin)
*   Coding Standards (codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Coding_Standards)
*   Distributing your Plugin [make separate page? currently part of
Writing, but I think it deserves its own page]
*   Hooks, Actions, and Filters (codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API) [2.1
update needed]
*   Function Reference (codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference) [2.1
update needed]
*   Migrating from 2.0.x to 2.1 [new]
*   Find Existing Plugins (wordpress.org/extend/plugins)

Contributing to WordPress
*   Contributing to WordPress
(codex.wordpress.org/Contributing_to_WordPress)
(this article has great links already, not sure if they should all be
listed separately in the developer area)

Forums, Lists & Blogs
*   WordPress Blog (wordpress.org/development)
*   WordPress Planet (planet.wordpress.org)
*   Support Forum (wordpress.org/support)
*   IRC Channels (codex.wordpress.org/IRC)
*   Mailing lists (codex.wordpress.org/Mailing_Lists)

Comments? Thoughts?
      Jennifer