[wp-docs] More on banning from Wiki

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 16:00:00 GMT 2007

On 2/22/07, Xavier Borderie <xavier at borderie.net> wrote:
> > Wow. The WordPress Codex is using version 1.4.8, but the current
> > version of MediaWiki is 1.9.3. Are there any plans to upgrade? I do
> > not think it is worth investigating the banning problem on such an old
> > version if upgrading would (possibly) fix the problem.
>
> This has alreadt been discussed here.
> Among other threads :
> http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-docs/2006-December/001385.html
> Dunno if anything has changed since then...

Upgrading Mediawiki is a royal PITA from past experience. The Images
will stop showing, the special pages will stop working, the namesapces
will stop working.... some of it due to the problem that unlike
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MainPage we have
http://codex.wordpress.org/MainPage/  Had we known better earlier, we
would have put in a /wiki/ in the URL too.

There have been discussions about using a different kind of wiki.
Nothing much came of it. I blame it on inertia caused by the weight of
so many pages and contributions.

Really, upgrading to the latest and greatest is not essential, unless
the upgrade provides some will-die-for feature. Security is a concern,
I admit, and as long as we have that covered, we should be good for
now.

Carthik.

> --
> Xavier Borderie