[wp-docs] Narrow center column makes Codex pages long

Jerry Peek jpeek at jpeek.com
Tue Nov 7 16:07:38 GMT 2006

I'm a new WordPress user.  The Codex is a big help.  But the layout (on
Firefox under Linux, at least) could be better, I think.  On the Main
Page, for instance, I get a very long center column that goes on for
screen after screen.  After the top screen, there's lots of whitespace
at the left and right sides of this long/narrow column.  I'll attach a
screen shot of my second screen of ten.

Have we considered using a different design/theme -- at least for the
Main Page?  For instance, move all of the overall navigation links from
the columns to fill the entire top of the page... and let all of the
other Codex pages appear below the top.  That would make much better use
of the remaining space in the page.  As it is, having navigation at the
left and right of the first screen doesn't help people navigate when
they're on screens below; they still have to scroll back to the top to
reach the overall navigation links.  Using columns like these only makes
sense, I think, when the body content of the page is short.

Jerry

P.S. That "Error" tab in the screen shot came when I tried to see the
wp-docs Subscribers list from
http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-docs.  I got the error
"wp-docs roster authentication failed".