[wp-docs] internal linking problem?

Michael E. Hancock mhancock at us.net
Mon Mar 27 13:25:52 GMT 2006

From: "Cori Schlegel" <kinrowan at gmail.com>
> I noticed a few days back that it seem like the internal linking style
> of the Codex has changed, I'm guessing since the roll out of MediaWiki
> 1.5.7.

Codex is still at 1.4.8.  I was able to move most of the contents, sans
Images and history, to 1.5.7 several weeks ago but that is a copy on my
local computer ;)

http://codex.wordpress.org/index.php?title=User:CoriSchlegel/Desktop/TinyMCE&action=edit.
>       By sort of I mean that MediaWiki seems to think that the page
>       doesn't exist and thus provides the default "edit" link, but when
>       you follow the link you get to my page in edit mode but with
>       content.  If you go to
>       http://codex.wordpress.org/User:CoriSchlegel/Desktop/TinyMCE you
>       get the actual page.
>
> As I recall from my own install of MediaWiki, there was a bit to do with
> friendly urls, but it's been a while so I don't recall for sure.  That
> was also 1.5.1 (I think).  Relying on that vague memory though, leads me
> to believe that the new Codex is using the not-nice urls by default.
>
> Has anyone else noted this?  Is there a running discussion I haven't seen?

Under the User namespace you had the following documents:
User:CoriSchlegel
User:CoriSchlegel/desktop
User:CoriSchlegel/Desktop/get settings
User:CoriSchlegel/desktop/TinyMCE
User:CoriSchlegel/rants

It is likely the lower-case "desktop" that is causing your problem.  That is
an issue related to the fact Codex uses a setting that allows lower-case
letters in the first digit of an article name.  I don't know what the 1.4.8
setting is, but under 1.5.7 that setting is "$wgCapitalLinks = false;".  You
can see another example of the problem here:
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:MichaelH/Wiki_Tips_and_Tricks#Linking_correctly_to_The_Loop

I've taken the liberty of deleting and moving the two lower case desktop
pages so they are now:
User:CoriSchlegel/Desktop
User:CoriSchlegel/Desktop/TinyMCE

I did not change your rants ;)