[wp-docs] Banning a user--reasonable?

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 02:49:57 GMT 2006

On 1/29/06, Michael E. Hancock <mhancock at us.net> wrote:
> This morning, a user left comments that I felt weren't pertinent to Codex.
>
> http://codex.wordpress.org/index.php?title=Talk:Contributing_to_WordPress&curid=3949&diff=26625&oldid=26624&rcid=25088
>
> I banned that user (User:Branko) for 240 hours for leaving unprofessional
> comments, but he has questioned that with this:
> -----
> "I see you blocked me from posting at the WordPress codex, stating as
> reason: "unprofessional comments".
>
> When trying to edit a page, it is suggested that I contact you. Without of
> course giving actual contact data, because that would probably be too easy.
> Feeling a little hostile?
>
> Anyway, I do not know what was "unprofessional" about my comment, nor that
> there was a requirements for all comments to a FOSS project (presumably also
> open to non-professionals) to be professional at all times.
>
> Please enlighten me what is defined as "professional" at the Wordpress
> codex, so that I can work hard to get the ban lifted?"
> -----
>
> Was I unreasonable in banning this user?  Or did I commit unwarranted
> censureship?

You were not unreasonable. You should have just told him that naming
names and accussing people is unbecoming behavior which is why he got
the boot.

Is there a need to explain what is "professional" and what is
"acceptable" at the wordpress forums/codex? If anyone else thinks it
is, then I'd suggest we draft a sweet little code of conduct that can
be then put up at the codex. It doesn't have to be very precise or
uptight, just a little note asking people to be nice to each other,
and not kick each others' dogs.

Kosher?
Carthik.
> Michael E. Hancock