[wp-docs] Explain optioanall and all parameters

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 19:31:52 GMT 2006

On 1/27/06, Michael E. Hancock <mhancock at us.net> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I'm trying to clean up the following pages:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/list_cats
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_list_cats
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/dropdown_cats
>
> All three articles refer to the 'optionall' and 'all' parameters, but, for
> the life of me, I can't understand what they are meant to accomplish.
>
> Could anyone explain what those parameters are or how they could be used?

Michael,

The $optionall argument(parameter) is for whether or not one wants to
display a link to all categories (makes sense in a dropdown list for
example). The $all argument defines the text to be displayed for the
link (default being "All"). So technically, if I had, for example,
$optionall = 1 and $all ="Everything" I would have the text
"Everything" in the list of categories which would be all the
categories.

Executive summary: $all is the text to be displayed for the "show all
categories" option, which in turn is enabled by $optionall =1.

Addendum: The code for using $optionall and $all was removed in Dec
2004 and so this is a broken feature/bug - Matt should know why it was
removed, and what the plans are.

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1072
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/23488

P.S. : Mike, if you ever need to lookup functions/variables, I
recommend Cena Mayo(one of the earliest doc team members)'s wpxrf at
http://www.cenamayo.com/wpxref

> Also, if someone has a comment or suggestion regarding the Dropdown without
> Submit Button section in dropdown_cats article I'd appreciate it.  Should
> that example be fixed or deleted?

Delete the example - it's only an example, and a bad one at that.

Regards,
Carthik.
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> ~~~~MichaelH