[wp-docs] Feature requirements for the 'new Codex'

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 19:11:53 GMT 2006

On 2/27/06, Michael E. Hancock <mhancock at us.net> wrote:
> From: "Matt Mullenweg" <m at mullenweg.com>
> > Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> > > Why? Is it just to make it easier to update the theme across
> > > wordpress.org, or are there other reasons?
> >
> > * We're working on a wiki plugin anyway
> > * User system integration across WP.org (one login)
> > * Performance
> > * Upgradability (no one has been able to upgrade the current codex)
> > * Possible new functionality
> >
> > As has been discussed in several WP meetups, it's going to be up to the
> > docs group whether to make the change or not. I'm sure lots of people
> > will find a wiki plugin useful regardless.
>

> If we have a vote, then I'd say stick with Mediawiki and find out why Codex
> can't be upgraded.
>
> So, to put my money where my mouth is, I will pay a bounty of $350.00 US to
> the first person who upgrades Codex to MediaWiki 1.5.6 before April 1, 2006!
> Two rules:  the dataset you upgrade must be done from the current data and
> you must warn this Email list, in advance, you are doing the actual upgrade,
> so we can halt any edits of Codex until the upgrade is completed.

I would take up on that offer. The biggest problem is that most of us
don't have access to the database, or the codex php source. When Matt
said "many have tried", I assume it was the WP devs (Matt, Ryan)
and/or some other webhost pros that tried and failed.

If I recall correctly, the most significant problem is that all wiki
pages don't have a /wiki/ prefix - this I learnt from some mediawiki
devs when troubleshooting some image display problem at the codex.
This is an installation error, and sometimes I think that with
mediawiki's documentation, it is a wonder the codex is working at all.

So MichaelH, without access to the codebase and the database, the
offer is crippled :)

Carthik.

> [[User:MichaelH]]

Ph.D. Candidate