[wp-docs] 5-Step Upgrade in Upgrading WordPress

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:19:39 GMT 2006

On 2/16/06, Michael B <miklb.online at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/06, Carthik Sharma <carthik at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There is no reason to feel bad about saying "sorry but that is outside
> > our ken". The sooner we learn that the better. At least, the official
> > set of documentation resources should not be crippled by this. Setting
> > a modest goal (for documentation) is not a crime.
> > ... Support volunteers can
> > refer people with upgrade problems to the more detailed guide and
> > request them to follow that on their restored backup of the
> > un-upgraded wp install before proceeding further.
>
> Sure, put the burden on the support forums.
Did I? All I said is lost, for no good purpose, if that is what you
got out of it. I can repeat it, just so I get it right -- it is NOT
the support vols' burden to deal with users who cannot follow
instructions. Support Vols can direct users to the detailed upgrade
guide, and expect them to use it before asking any more questions. If
users can't take the extra effort to get things working, support
volunteers need not go out of their way.

> > What right does Carthik, who does not spend ANY time on the forums
> > have to lecture us about support, you ask? Well, I have been there,
> > and I stopped going there from when the number of issues, and the
> > kinds of user questions I was assumed to be responsible to support
> > outgrew my interest. Remember - this is all voluntary, and the people
> > who put the most into support have probably gained more from it than
> > people who haven't.
>

> I take great offense to that statement.
I was trying to anticipate what you might feel after you read what I wrote.
It would be great if you were more verbose about what offended you
(or, is it just me who's obnoxious?)

Carthik.

> > Carthik.
> >

> --