[wp-docs] 5-Step Upgrade in Upgrading WordPress

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Thu Feb 16 19:55:55 GMT 2006

Vogel, Andrew (vogelap) wrote:
> Actually, if the upgrade documentation SPECIFICALLY said what files to
> delete that would be better, IMO, than saying, "Delete the wp-content
> directory, being sure not to delete your xxx sub-directory under
> wp-content". If a user doesn't pre-read (and Lord knows that most of
> them do NOT), they'll miss the exceptions.
>
> I've never seen an app that instructs you to delete everything first. I
> know that WordPress is special; I don't understand what's special about
> it that requires me to delete instead of overwrite.
>
> What is the estimated percentage of installations that encounter the
> "overwrite issue"?

I'm sure I can find pages in Codex that affect far far fewer people.
Why the objection ? I can't understand it - myself and others have been
answering this question for two years now. If we didn't think this was
worth doing do you think I'd be writing now ?

I will continue to tell people who have problems what they really should
be doing, and Codex can wander along it's merry deluded little way.

P.