[wp-docs] 5-Step Upgrade in Upgrading WordPress

Ryan Duff ryan at ryanduff.net
Thu Feb 16 18:33:23 GMT 2006

Podz wrote:
> Vogel, Andrew (vogelap) wrote:
>> What's the risk of overwriting? I've never encountered 'overwriting
>> issues' in any other PHP-based software I've run, so I am curious why
>> WordPress is different from others...
>
> Risk ? None.
> Hassle for users when they get errors because their server screws up ? Yes.
> Forums helpers tired of saying "Delete first" ? Yes.
> Time spent in forums doing so ? Lots.
> Time to alter 1 doc and keep it that way ? Seconds.
>
> Would it hurt for the 'official' docs to say 'Delete' ? NO.
>
> P.

Yes, but the whole point was to trim the install doc down from saying
delete this, this and that, oh, and make sure you don't delete your
wp-config.php file. Upload the new files then go on. How many other
projects tell the users to delete the whole install before uploading the
new files? None that I can think of.

Maybe what we need is a "recommended" ftp program and have it documented
to say what the settings should be in the codex.

--
Ryan Duff
http://ryanduff.net