[wp-docs] Upgrade instructions too hard?

TechGnome tg at tannagh.com
Wed Feb 1 16:54:12 GMT 2006

It's not just the plugin authors that need to do this.... theme authors
need to take responsibility for that as well. IMHO it's not fair to hold
the plugin author responsible for something the person who wrote the
theme/template (who, for all we know has been warned by the plugin author.

Personaly, I always deactivate plugins before doing anykind of upgrade.
You just never know when something in the core has been changed that is
going to cause conflict with a plugin. I too have also been plagued
(sporaticaly) by the overwrite problem. This despite my telling my FTP
client to overwrite all files. For what ever reason it doen't always take.

Sure, I wish there was an easier way. It would be so cool to be able to
login to my WP admin dashboard see a big fat link "UPDATE AVAILABLE!"
and I could click it, and the changed files would be downloaded and put
in to the correct location, and BAM! the upgrade is done (except for
maybe running the upgrade.php to get DB changes). But I don't hold any
hope that 1) it's possible, or 2) that it will ever get done.

Solution: I don't know. I don't really have one. But I do subscribe to
the philosophy that better to be safe than sorry.

-tg