[wp-docs] Upgrade instructions too hard?

Vogel, Andrew (vogelap) VOGELAP at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed Feb 1 14:40:18 GMT 2006

The upgrade documentation is fine, though it would be easier to have a
list of files that SHOULD be deleted (not just a list of those to KEEP).

It's kinda the upgrade PROCESS that's a pain. Deleting files is scary
for Joe User. It would be ideal if the files could just be overwritten.

Here's a plugin idea... a plugin that would take a snapshot of the
activation status of the plugins on the site, and then batch
activate/deactivate them. Read on...

I see it like this:
* User activates the "PLUGIN MANAGER" plugin.
* Within "PLUGIN MANAGER", user creates a 'snapshot' of currently-active
plugins.
* Within "PLUGIN MANAGER", user clicks a 'batch deactivate' button to
deactivate all plugins at once.
* User deactivates "PLUGIN MANAGER".
* User upgrades WordPress.
* User activates "PLUGIN MANAGER", clicks the 'batch activate' button
and viola! -- all previously-activated plugins are automagically
reactivated.
Easy, fast, and user-friendly.

-andrew vogel
Manager of Professional Programs