[wp-docs] Upgrade instructions too hard?

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Wed Feb 1 14:24:16 GMT 2006

Michael E. Hancock wrote:
> Interestingly, just after the 2.0 release, Mr. Sharma wrote
> http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Carthik/Five_Step_Upgrade that recommends
> deactivating plugins but overwriting files.
>
> Can we come to a consensus about this (i.e. deactivating plugins and
> deleting files)?

I don't see how it can happen.
Deactivating and deleting takes longer but is reliable.
Deactivating and overwriting does cause problems.

And deactivating plugins makes not a jot of difference unless the actual
function call is wrapped.

It's too big an issue now - so all instructions must take into account
the needs of the person. And bear in mind that the people are more
likely to be reading these things are the ones that need to know the
most and the most reliable. Step 1-2-3 may not fit with the '5 minute
install' but then people have got nothing to lose there have they ?

In the end though, if WP could, after being uploaded, deactivate
everything, delete or at least checksum each new file and rectify then,
and then do something about plugin code it would be approaching
something close to the upgrade nirvana.

As it stands:
Write one decent document and that helps far more people than brief
instructions and it also saves forum traffic. And it's not exactly
tricky to write.

P.