[wp-docs] Upgrade instructions too hard?

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Wed Feb 1 09:43:37 GMT 2006

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> I've been seeing a lot of posts similar to this:
>
> http://simon.sp8.org/2006/01/31/wordpress-v201/
>
> "Don’t ask me how, but I wish the upgrade process was easier
That comes from the code.

> didn’t involve de-activating plugins
Authors need to tell people to wrap their fucntions properly. It has
been posted before. It also means that the core fail more gracefuly - a
theme problem right now causes a blank screen and a post to the forum
for instance.

> and deleting files.
The 'official' instructions have never said to delete files, and have
always said to overwrite. The deleting came about because of very high
levels of overwriting problems. It's written to save posts.

> There is a balance between being ridiculously thorough and not
> overwhelming people. I think we weigh towards the latter right now.

With respect Matt - the upgrade docs are as thorough because of two reasons:
1 - How the coders put it all together
2 - the people doing the upgrade

I have certainly written what I have because of forum questions and far
too many personal emails at these times. It's not been for fun.

P.