[wp-docs] Codex move complete, next steps?

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 22:26:24 GMT 2006

Hi All,

On 12/4/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Michael E. Hancock wrote:
> > Special:Popularpages disappeared early this year, can it be reinstated now
> > that performance issues are solved?
>
> I don't know why it's broken, so I'm not sure how to fix it, but I could
> give volunteers access to the Google analytics stats.

Yet another mediawiki goofup?

> > Is Codex staying with MediaWiki or moving to Blicki or another platform?
>
> That's up to you guys.
I'd rather have it stay with mediawiki since a move will need a lot of
work, and will never really be complete. Making it a test case for
Blicki might not lead to high reliability :)

> > If staying with MediaWiki, upgrade to the latest version.

Nah, just stick to the one we have + security upgrades if any.

> Which extensions, specifically? We'll have to watch it closely for abuse.

I think it is about time to move to the next level in documentation. A
wiki can only do so much. We could use a documentation team (Elected
and/or selected) with regular meetings on IRC, a plan and a goal. The
end product should be an online book which has been reviewed by 'n'
editors, and organized according to a master plan. It should be easily
searchable/indexable.  Except for the last criterion, the docs at
http://help.ubuntu.com is an example that can be improved upon (look
for the "Community Docs" tab at the top right). Note that
http://help.ubuntu.com came from http://wiki.ubuntu.com for the most.

We have tried a flat-hierarchy and it hasn't worked, so let's try
organization (a democratic one if you will). If the effort does not
take off, then a system where users/organizations can put up bounties
for sections/chapters/divisions of documentation would be great too.
Heck, we could come out with an "Official" WordPress documentation
guide endorsed by the developers and documentors and use that money to
support infrastructure. More than the money, the book will help refine
the documentation and organize it.

I am sorry I have been busy with no end in sight for my Ph.D.  I was
really saddened when I read the news about Codex's "demise" and "end
of useful life" from a couple of sources :) It is not useless -
there's enough there to make something very useful out of it all.

Regards,
Carthik.

> --
> Matt Mullenweg