[wp-docs] Codex move complete, next steps?

Michael E. Hancock mhancock at us.net
Mon Dec 4 19:02:12 GMT 2006

From: "Matt Mullenweg" <m at mullenweg.com>
> Michael E. Hancock wrote:
> > Special:Popularpages disappeared early this year, can it be reinstated
now
> > that performance issues are solved?
>
> I don't know why it's broken, so I'm not sure how to fix it, but I could
> give volunteers access to the Google analytics stats.
>
> > Is Codex staying with MediaWiki or moving to Blicki or another platform?
>
> That's up to you guys.
>
> > If staying with MediaWiki, upgrade to the latest version.
>
> I tried when I did the migration, I was unable to upgrade to 1.6.8,
> which is the last version that supported PHP4. It bothers me that they
> made PHP5 a requirement, but I suppose we could get that installed and
> try it out again, but I'm not optimistic.

+1 for sticking with MediaWiki.

Find someone you trust to do the upgrade, and also ask them to manage future
upgrades.  Hopefully upgrading will solve the mysterious problems like
Popularpages just disappearing.  Wonder if RecentChanges only reporting so
many days is part of that?

> > Add more extensions allowed for Uploads so things such as video
tutorials
> > can be uploaded.
>
> Which extensions, specifically? We'll have to watch it closely for abuse.

The discussion page, http://codex.wordpress.org/Codex_talk:Screencasts
mentions SWF, GIF, and AVI as possibilites.

Regards,

MichaelH