[wp-docs] An Amendment

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Mon Sep 26 17:01:49 GMT 2005

Lorelle VanFossen wrote:

> We need to have very precise clarity over the differences and
> similarities between GPL per code and docs
I thought GPL was GPL ?

> usage rights
Is this not GPL ?

> Copyright protections
I would suggest Ryan covered this earlier in one of the threads.

> Some very specific
> questions and concerns have been raised and we need to either be handed
> the final, professional and legal decision from the powers that be
Can WP afford a lawyer ? Do we need to ? Is there someone else we can
consult ? (seeing as FSF have been voted out) Is this being actively
pursued ?

> or
> we all work together to clearly establish a precendence
If GPL is involved, I fail to see where there is an precedence to be
established. It's not like there is any room to move is there ?
If the GPL licence for Codex is wrong (and there should be very little
doubt about that any more), then there are 2 options as I see it:
1 - Accept that it's wrong, learn to be more careful and establish just
what can be done with the data. Bear in mind that right now it's only us
looking at this issue. Whatever does happen will be subject to a lot
more scrutiny by people who are looking to tear into this project
or
2 - Do something about it. Put a huge amount of work into /doing it right/.

Contrary to whatever impressions I have conveyed, I am NOT against
publishing Codex. I am concerned though that a project that I have now
been involved with for 21 months and have contributed extensively to
does it properly and openly. That last word alone is not being done.
There is a lot of slackness here and as I keep saying, do we sort this
in-house or do we wait for <insert wellknown sites> to rip into us ? And
bear in mind that the majority of people reading this will not be
mentioned...

I do believe there is a book project being done right now - evidence is
on the net - and I do believe that if it is published under the GPL then
it will be done wrong. There's a saying here in football that during a
match there are 22 players and a guy in black on the pitch, and 40,000
referees watching. I think there's a parallel there.

P.