[wp-docs] More on Copyright

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Fri Sep 23 21:15:41 GMT 2005

I'm like a dog with a bone on this one.

We seem to have established that approaching the FSF is a bad thing. As
it stands, they are having some sort of staff change so there is a
queue, and unless things change, I will decline to pursue the matter
with them when they reply.

But there remain unanswered issues. Now before you leap all over this
screaming, just try and understand that all I am after is clarity. I'm
not someone who has just popped up and started pointing fingers - I
would hope my track record of helping shows I'm on the side of the good
guys. This is not a personal agenda. I happen to think that Codex and
it's license were not given due attention at the earliest time, and that
we now have a potentially messy situation. That 'due attention' is
no-one's fault necessarily but the last few threads here must surely
show that all is not as well and clear-cut as it should be.
So, with that in mind, if I am not clear, please ask me to elaborate.

I write a page in Codex.
I retain copyright of that page, but I am allowing it's use under the
terms of the GPL.
Bob comes along, takes my page, puts it in his book, credits me and the
source and sells his book. That's fine. We are all happy.
John comes along, takes my page, puts it his book and sells it. No
credit. No link to the source. Just my page. Who looks after my interest
there ?

The way I see it, I'm currently on my own. We all are. We all have
copyright over our own work, but I don't see that when I wrote anything
that I gave my permission for someone else to look after my copyright
interests. I don't have any chance of looking after my interests though
do I ? So when I said that the FSF should be considered, I was not
trying to do anything more than have a single enforceable point of
ownership - something we do not currently have.

If I have got anything glaringly wrong here, please just tell me, but
equally, if there really are things that need to get sorted out then
shouldn't we start to discuss them ?

P.