[wp-docs] An Amendment

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Sep 23 16:56:23 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 16:20 +0100, Podz wrote:
> Mike Little wrote:
> > Is everyone satisfied yet?
>
> All I wanted behind this was for the whole process of giving to Codex to
> be transparent to every user within reasonable limits.
>
> If someone gets asked "Hey, could you add that to Codex ?" then we
> cannot and should not assume a level of knowledge about the legal
> technicalities. Those who DO know should have made it clear in as many
> places as reasonably possible not just that the GPL was involved but to
> try and be sure that people know - indicating outside sources that are
> known good ones would be useful.
> As it stands, I felt that people were adding to Codex without due
> consideration of what may happen (or be happening) to their freely given
> work, so I wanted those holes closing by educating people.
>
> I am astonished that the goal of providing information to people has
> been given the very negative reception it has.
>
> I am also concerned by the silence of certain people, but that silence
> speaks volumes.

I suggested the GPL licensing be made clear to contributors months ago.
I've suggested that every time this thread came up.  Nobody did anything
about it.  Codex is not my house to keep in order.

Make it clear that Codex is under the GPL, give a link to the GPL, let
them read it and decide.  Don't try to interpret it for them.  We're not
lawyers.

Ryan