[wp-docs] Codex and the FSF

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 19:51:18 GMT 2005

On 9/22/05, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 12:18 +0100, Podz wrote:
> > Ryan Boren wrote:
> "5. The Codex still does not say that copyright is retained by the
> author."
>
> See the laws for your country. In the US and most countries you
> automatically have copyright to your work and retain all rights. You
> have to explicitly grant rights to others via a device such as the GPL.
>
> "It does not say who may or may not make any judgements about
> copyright, publishing, income generation etc. Don't you think it
> should ? It doesn't matter one bit that YOU might know - it should be
> there in clear language for all to see and understand before they start
> typing"
>
> Read the GPL. It's all in there. If someone does not understand that
> they need to consult a lawyer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works
The Berne Convention is still alive - and copyrights are automatic, except
for a very few countries.

I think the basic problem is that a lot of people here are confused about
what Copyright is, what a License is, and what the difference between the
two is.

I stop here, since there is nothing I can say about the problem - which is
still not clear to me.

Carthik.
--
Ph.D. Candidate