[wp-docs] The point about Copyright

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Thu Sep 22 12:14:40 GMT 2005

1. This is nothing to do with me or my contributions.

2. This is everything to do with protecting the copyrights that belong
to each and every contributor.

3. Right now, all that's rattled out - by people who have not given
largely to Codex - is the phrase "It's GPL". The people who actually
have done the work are not being consulted about their copyright.
Doesn't that strike you as odd ?

4. This is about taking action now so that the work is protected. From
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html -"be sure to find out who
the copyright holders of the software are before reporting a violation."
and yet when I start to create a page of all the copyright holders, I
get told it is a waste of time. Please do explain WHY that is a waste of
time given that it would be needed.

5. The Codex still does not say that copyright is retained by the
author. It does not say what rights the author may or may not have. It
does not say who may or may not make any judgements about copyright,
publishing, income generation etc. Don't you think it should ? It
doesn't matter one bit that YOU might know - it should be there in clear
language for all to see and understand before they start typing

6. This is not about fame and reward AT ALL. My contributions to Codex
are way way less than a great many people, but that does not diminish
the fact that I have the right to express what I want on this issue nor
does it stop me looking at the bigger picture and wondering just what is
going on. that is not a conspiracy theory, merely that right now this
situation is just begging to be exploited given the condition it is in.

7. If this thread were about code in the Hackers list I'd be able to
feel the heat from here.

8. It's a mess. It needs sorting out and the voices that actually matter
are those people that have contributed - and surely everyone is equal
there ? Or are we ? And if we are not, just say so.

P.