[wp-docs] Codex and the FSF

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Thu Sep 22 10:36:06 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 08:50 +0100, Podz wrote:
> I cannot believe that a project such as WordPress is going to settle for
> what I can only see as a fudge.
> Copyrights all over the place, attributions for some work, attributions
> missing for other work, completely unclear as to who should do what when
> and how. Maybe if those people who have given the most time and energy
> into Codex were actually consulted ? It's /their/ work.

That's open source.  This is an open source project.  I'm failing to see
the problem.  The documentation should be as free as the code.  It
currently is because it is licensed under the GPL.  The problem with
that is...?

What kind of attribution do you want?  Codex is far better attributed
than the source code.  Each Codex contributor commits his own changes.
Every freakin' line in the Codex is attributed giving excellent
copyright traceability.

Are you expecting fame and reward?  I've contributed a heaping shitload
of time to open source projects over the last decade and in that time
one person bought me something off my wishlist and Nuclear Moose
interviewed me.  Oh, and I received an endless stream of pissy and petty
emails from people who think they own me when they use what I give them
for free.  I was also constantly implicated in the conspiracy theories
of raving idiots and mired in the politics of those who find evidence of
elitism in every damn decision and make calls for class struggle against
the oppressive devs with each breath.  Such is the way it is.  Do this
as a hobby with no expectation of getting anything out of it or do
something else and save yourself the disappointment.

Anyway, back to work.

Ryan