[wp-docs] Filling Holes in the Codex

Daniel Schildt daniel.schildt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:07:09 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:

> Of course, if it serves as an archive that would seem to hint at Codex
> supporting only the current release.

Good that there could be some archive of Codex contents.

> ... but I still cannot see the point of a single download.
> I still think it is wasteful and certainly would stress
> most machines to open while also having a browser running
> (we cannot assume that users will have solid hardware).

One big file would have some good sides:
- all information in same package
- just one file to download
- easier to print whole documentation (but who wants that?)

But as you said, there are some bad sides (in big file):
- one big file could make opening and reading much slower
- if/when somebody wants just several parts he is required to
  get it all --> unnecessary use of network bandwidth
- printing of just part of the documentation could be harder
  for some people (that don't know how to use print dialog;)

> But then maybe the full downloaded zip is actually
> a multitude of the small files ?

I think it could be better move to provide:
- individual files of different sections of Codex
  (instead of one big massive file)
- big zip file full of those smaller .pdf files
- possibility to download just few of .pdf files
  without need to unpack zip files

Question is that what is good size of part of documentation?

--
  Daniel Schildt